Comment on page
Tax ID number (NIF)
The NIF (Número de Identificação Fiscal) is your taxpayer identification number in Portugal. The NIF is an essential step when moving to Portugal, as it is required to pay taxes, get a phone contract, and, of course, open a bank account. The NIF is sometimes referred to as the Número de Contribuinte and it's issued by the Portuguese tax authority.
Usually, you can expect to receive your NIF in 1 week. This can take longer if the Tax Office is experiencing delays.
In order to provide our NIF service, we connect you with a Portuguese lawyer who will be your fiscal (tax) representative and request a NIF on your behalf.
- 1.Requesting the NIF with the Portuguese tax office: one of our lawyers will submit a NIF request on your behalf. This is a one-time service and after you receive your NIF you will not need it again.
- 2.Fiscal Representation: In order for our lawyers to request a NIF on your behalf, they must be elected as your fiscal representative in Portugal. This is done by signing a limited Power of Attorney which is provided to you after you place your order. As your fiscal representative, our lawyers can request a NIF on your behalf and has the responsibility of ensuring that you receive any notices from the tax office. A fiscal representative is able to offer other legal services as well, but the services included with Baseflow's fiscal representation are limited to acquiring a NIF and forwarding any messages from the Portuguese tax office. Once you elect a fiscal representative, the only way to remove that person's responsibilities is by assigning a new fiscal representative. For our customers, that usually means assigning themselves as the fiscal representative after they move to Portugal. We include 12 months of fiscal representation when our customers order a NIF.
You will need to hold a valid NIF if you plan to engage in any of the activities listed below:
- purchase or sell properties
- inherit Portuguese goods and assets
- get a bank account in Portugal
- apply for credit, including mortgage
- pay taxes and contributions
- be legally hired in Portugal and receive an official income
- receive social security and other benefits in Portugal
- get a driving license
Having a valid NIF is a requirement that applies to both resident and non-resident individuals.
There is no general timeframe for requesting your NIF and authorities do not foresee any penalty for not holding one. However, if you plan to stay in Portugal for more than 180 days, engage in any official business, or be legally employed you should obtain a Portuguese tax number first.
In order for us to request your NIF, we need two documents:
- 1.Valid passport (or National ID card for EU citizens). We support all nationalities for our NIF service.
- 2.Proof of address: this can be any document that serves as proof of residential address outside of Portugal (P.O. boxes are not accepted). Any of the following documents are acceptable:
- Driver's license:
- Must be valid (i.e. not expired)
- Provide photos of both the front and back
- First page of bank statement:
- Issued within the past 3 months
- Bank balance and transaction details may be blacked out
- Utility bill:
- Issued within the past 3 months
Also make sure that:
- 1.Your name matches your passport or ID card. Your full First name and surname must match your passport exactly.
- 2.The address provided:
- 1.Must be a residential address outside of Portugal
- 2.P.O. boxes or business addresses are not accepted
- 3.Must match the "Residential Address" submitted in the intake form
- 4.Provide a translation if the document is not written in English